Thursday, May 10, 2012

privilege in society...


For today’s entry, I have been asked to look at privileges that I have been afforded by society simply because I am considered the default.  By default, I mean that I am a white, heterosexual male.  I will list a few of these, and examine them at the same time.

1.  I can walk into any store and not be followed around simply because of my race.
             
When I go to any store, I am only seen as a consumer.  I am not suspected of being out of the ordinary because of the way that I look.  I am considered the typical member of society, one who will peruse the grounds and report to the register when I have decided what I want to buy.  It is easy for me to get help with any of my purchases, as I am only seen as a consumer and nothing else.  This allows me to not contemplate whether I am   being discriminated against and leads me not to focus on this subject.

2.  I know that I can buy a house, and my skin color will not lead others to believe I am single-handedly lowering real estate value.
            
 Because I am seen as the “norm” I will probably have easier access to home loans.  People will actually look at my credit score versus my skin color when considering me for loans.  I will get a better APR than those of color.  I have access to the best of homes, loans, rates, schools, and government services.  And if somehow these things are not available to me, I do not worry that my race may have had something to do with it.

3.  I can get married to the one I love in any jurisdiction in America.
            
 I am a heterosexual.  Therefore, there are no amendments to any state or federal constitution that denies me the right to marry who I want.  I do not have to settle for a civil union, domestic partnership or anything that falls under the “everything but marriage” category.  Nobody that I do not know has a say in this.  I am not persecuted against nor denied any rights simply because of my sexual orientation.

These are just a few of the privileges that I am afforded as a white, heterosexual male.  To be honest, it is strange when I think that people actually do have to deal with these things.  Because I have never had to, it just doesn’t really register for me.  Truth is, it pays to be considered the default.  But is that the lesson that I would want to pass down to my children?  Absolutely not.  I would want my children to judge people because of their character, not something as superficial like skin color, orientation or ability.

As a send-off, I'll leave you with some humor... Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment